Thursday, July 31, 2008

Part 6 ~ Nothing in My Wildest Dreams or Worst Nightmares Could Have Prepared Me ...

It was close to noon now and the police had been in my home for close to 6 hours or so. I was still in the front room with my family and husband was in the garage . When I heard my husband shout but couldn't make out what he had said.


The officer who had taken my husband into the garage informed him that our son Jon had confessed to the murder of the unfortunate young man killed at the pizza shop. And that it had been this officer's experience in a case like our's,that it might be a good idea to take our family and move from the area.

My husband's first reaction was.."Bullshit! What did you do to him to make him confess?"...Later we would find out just how true that statement had been. The officer then told him that our son was being arraigned in a half hour at the courthouse in town, and only one of us would be allowed to go, not both.

Nothing in my wildest dreams or worst nightmares would've prepared me for the news my husband was about to share with us. Or the events that were about to take place.

When my husband told us what was going on I nearly fainted. My one daughter literally hit the floor, while the other one started to scream and said.."There is no god"... My 11 year old son began to cry so hard I had to get my breathing machine. He has asthma and was having trouble breathing. I think my children needing me was what kept me from totally falling apart myself. I told my husband to go because I needed to stay with them. Though my heart ached because I wanted so bad to see my son and make sure he was all right.

My husband hurried and left. While my brother in-law stayed with me and the children. Many of the reporters who had been outside our home were now gone to be at the courthouse. I turned on the TV to see if maybe I could see my son. What I saw turned my stomach. And the Image will be forever engraved into my memory. There on the news live was my son being led out of a police car to the courthouse door. He was in a striped uniform, bullet proof vest, and shackles on his hands and ankles. The officer leading him pushed him so hard he nearly fell. I could tell my son had been crying and looked liked he hadn't slept.

He was surrounded by people and reporters. They were calling him a.."cold hearted killer"... That was my son, my little boy. He was my clown, not a killer. They said he looked uncaring yet he had tears streaming down his face. He was frighten and alone and here I was sitting there watching this on TV. I saw him quickly look around and instinctively I knew he was looking for me. And there wasn't anything I could do. I can't explain the emotions I was feeling, there were so many. But the one thing I did know, I knew in my heart and soul that my son didn't do this horrible thing. He was innocent And I would do whatever it took to prove it and bring him home.

My worst Nightmare was only just beginning.

At this point my children were all but hysterical. I wasn't able to help my son right now but I wasn't going to sit by and watch the rest of my family fall apart before my very eyes. I found a strength I didn't know I had and I turned to the officer now babysitting us and told him I needed to get my family help. I demanded that if he didn't get someone there right now I would take them and leave, their rules be damned. And I would find someone myself.


It seemed almost instantly there was a man who came into my living room I don't remember him even coming in the front door he was just there. He told me he was a minister from a local church, who worked with the police and troubled youths in our area. He told me he wasn't sure what was going on but he was told he was needed here. So I told him briefly the situation as I knew it.

He then looked a little surprised he told me he had heard my son's name before that he was supposed to be getting in touch with him. To work with him. He then sat and spoke with my other children. And prayed with us. I can't begin to tell you the calming effect this man had on us all. And I will forever be grateful to him.

At this point the police were beginning to wrap up their search. They had removed bags and bags of what ended up being mostly my other children's things.

Jon and I had had a falling out weeks ago and he had been staying with a friend and her family. He had just come home stay not even two weeks before. So he really didn't have too much of his things there.

Let me say now that with all their searching nothing was ever found here. No evidence was ever found here or anywhere else linking my son or his two friends to this horrible crime.

My husband had now come back from the courthouse visibly shaken. The police were beginning to leave. I introduced him to the minister and told him what had happened. I asked him if he had been able to see or talk to Jon. He said he was able to yell to him and Jon saw him. But they didn't let them have any contact. He said it was a circus and he was glad I hadn't gone. That after they had taken Jon away, the media had descended on him and it was all he could do to get away. One reporter actually stood in front of my husband's truck to try and stop him from leaving.

The minister then told us he was also a jail minister at the county jail. If we'd like and he had our permission, he would go and see Jon that very evening. It was all I had. I jumped at the opportunity told him please do and let him know we love him, we believe in him, and we are behind him. That we didn't believe he did this. He left to take our son our message.

It would be our only contact we had with our son for weeks to come.

No comments: