Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Part 5 - Amazing How One Can Find Humor in The Strangest Situations

So now my husband was in the garage. I was left in the front room with my children, and my brother- in law. We were being what I call Babysat by an officer that I think he was from either the state police or the FBI. He was sitting at our dinning table and I guess making sure none of us left or went into any other part of the house.

As I looked around I thought to myself that there certainly was a lot of police here and from a lot of different jurisdictions too. I forgot to mention earlier that there was the COMET team and the State Police here too. It seemed very excessive to me, especially when this crime was later described by an officer in court as..." A simple robbery gone bad".. Why then were the ATF and the FBI involved? I guess a lot of these men were also under cover officers and agents, because when a reporter came to our door. An officer who must have been in charge answered it and told the reporter to go away and that there better not be any of these men's faces appearing on the News. If there was he would see personally that their station would be shut down. Strangely enough I never did see our house on the news ever after that.

So now it was probably close to 10:00 and we were sitting there with this officer who I suppose was trying to be nice. Trying to make small talk? How do you do that, when you are holding a family basically legally hostage??

As we were sitting there, I heard a glass fall and hit the counter in the kitchen. The babysitting officer was looking in that direction. From where we were sitting we could not see the kitchen but he could. He looked a little surprised. And I was getting a little angrier and perhaps a bit braver. I looked at him and said something to the effect of..." Great! Now they're in my kitchen destroying it and breaking things!"... He looked back at me and just said..." No, There 'ain't nobody there. The glass just up and hit the counter. It didn't even break. And there ain't nobody there". I just looked at him, and then it happened again, another glass fell and hit the counter. And Again He said.." There ain't nobody there"...

This time seeing the shock on his face I couldn't resist. I told him it must be our ghost and he is mad because you guys are here messing with his family and destroying his house. I then told him a brief history of our house. That before my in-laws bought the place a jeweler lived here. And one night someone murdered him and no one was sure why, because the jewelry was left behind. That the murder was never solved. The look on this man's face almost made me feel bad but not quite. His eyes were so big and he seemed genuinely upset. A few minutes later he was gone and another officer was put in his place to babysit us. I never did see that officer again.

Perhaps it was a defense mechanism, perhaps it was simply my off sense of humor, but isn't it amazing how one can find humor in the strangest situations.....

No comments: