Thursday, July 24, 2008

Part 3 And The Storm Grew

Well I finally made it home. It was the longest 3 miles I've ever driven. I'm surprised I was able to drive at all. But I guess I was on auto pilot.

I got home and immediately picked up the phone and began calling the station. The officer was obviously getting annoyed and was quite condescending actually. I asked him if he had told my son that I had been there trying to get in and if he knew I was trying to see him? He said Yes he had told him of course. Again another lie.

Later I found out that while I was trying to get in to see my son and calling and calling. My son had asked for me. This same officer told him, they had called me and I had said I knew what he had done and was ashamed of him and didn't want to see him or talk to him. I cringe even now at the thought.

Originally when I had called the station and had my first contact with this same officer. I started to think that maybe they really had taken my son in with other teens and perhaps he was able to help them. How naive I had been. But I was quickly becoming aware of how serious this was.

I remember asking if my son needed a lawyer and the officer responding with.."Do you think your son needs a lawyer?"...It was such a farce. A cat and mouse game to them but to us it was our lives. I was our son's life.

I know too that my son probably thought he was telling him the truth because my son and a friend had gotten into trouble a few weeks before, for drinking. I had been called home from work. I wasn't happy with my son to say the least. When the office then asked me if I wanted then to take my son to the station or take him home? I told him to take him to the station. Hoping it would teach my son a lesson. Tough Love? I'm positive that the officer remembered this and used it that night during my son's interrogation.

My son had asked for his father too. They did not let him call him either. Then my son asked for a lawyer. They again denied him. That was a big mistake on their part. Because by law once you ask for a lawyer they are supposed to stop all questioning and anything you say after with no lawyer present, is not supposed to be used in court. But then My son's interrogation and questioning, was not videotaped. So it became their word against his.

By this time it had to be after 4:00 am. My husband called the station. The officer was now very rude and actually swore at him and told him not to call anymore. That they would be sending someone to our home shortly. He then hung up on him.

About that time my older daughter came in the house. Totally upset. She and her husband were dropping off my 4 year old grand daughter as they did every morning for me to watch while they went to work. But on this particular morning all hell was beginning to break loose.

My daughter wanted to know why there was a sheriff car in our drive way. And why they searched her, her husband, and my 3 year old grand daughter's book bag. I was mortified. I ran out to the drive way and asked the two deputies why they were there? Again I naively thought that they might be there because my son told then something that he may have known, that might have put us in danger. And they were there to protect us. All the deputy said was they were told to came there to secure the property. That they didn't know what or why they were there because they had both just come off a two week vacation? What? It was as if I was truly caught up in some horrible nightmare and no matter how hard I tried to wake up from it. It only got worse.

I went back inside and told my daughter as much as I knew. I then told her to take my grand daughter home. That I suspected that this day was going to be one that she did not need to exposed to. My daughter was crying and wanted to stay. I told her no. She packed up my grand daughter and left.

I was so drained and yet it seemed every nerve in my body was on fire. At this point I went and woke up my other children who were still asleep. I wanted them to be a wake and prepared for whatever there was to come.

And Come They did.....

No comments: